January 23, 2007

Bunching on the bed.


Anyone guess what this is?
Well, spinning fibre is a quite good guess, but it is much more than that. It is two pounds (a kilo) of natural grey angora! It lies in a standard single bed, and is really an enormous amount.

One of my mothers spinning aquintances asked if anyone wanted some Angora, and well - I have always wanted some. Even though I know that I would need a face mask etc. to spin and wear it! I tried to order a pound though her, but it failed and so my mother and I decided to order two pounds on our own to share. Since I live in Denmark where the lady with the bunnies also lives, it came to my door. SO soft. I could roll around in it and it would stick to me everywhere, making me look like a snowman. I know exactly what I want to do with a little bit of it already today, and that is to start on the thrummed mittens I have procrastinated for a long time, thrummed with ANGORA. How much softer can it be?


Lace

I knitted an entire shawl yesterday, as a matter of fact. Now, that may sound impressing, but it really is not, since it is barely 8 inches wide and 5 inches tall including the edge. It was a swatch that got a little out of hand, when I wanted to see how my handspun Humbug yarn would behave with a US4, 3,5mm in lace. It does quite well, as I am pleased to report, so I proceed to cast on 624 stitches for a Three-cornered shawl (pg. 138) in the Victorian Lace Today book. I hemmed and hawed for a long time if I should make it smaller, start from the neck down or make it square. I dont want it smaller because I am not small, it would look lovely square but I do not have the stamina for it, and from the neck down would surely tire me long before I was finished.
I do not have enough yarn for the shawl, but I can buy some differently coloured shetland roving from my mother, so I will be all set for a very long-sighted project. It looks very enjoyable though, and the lace patterns are anything but difficult.


Have a really nice day here from snowy Denmark


/Lene

No comments: